At Axcelis Technologies, we are committed to taking an active part in protecting the health and safety of our most valuable assets - our employees and customers. In addition, Axcelis is committed to protecting the environment and the public health of the communities in which we operate. Axcelis has been certified to the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System standard since 2000 and we maintain a comprehensive environmental management system that defines and tracks site performance to environmental, health and safety goals. The company is also actively involved in SEMI's Global Care, a semiconductor and equipment industry initiative designed to establish a framework on which the diverse membership of SEMI can build and strengthen commitment to the environment, health and safety.
- Our ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and Policy
- Our Health and Safety Management System and Policy
- Our EHS Performance
Our Environmental policy states:
- Axcelis Technologies is committed to protecting the environment, and the public health of the communities in which we operate.
- We are committed to compliance with all environmental regulations, legislation, and other environmental requirements applicable to our business and its environmental aspects.
- We strive to conserve natural resources and to continually improve our environmental systems.
- We set appropriate, achievable objectives and targets for the prevention of pollution.
- We periodically review our environmental objectives and targets.
- We maintain records regarding environmental policies, procedures, and performance.
The Axcelis Environmental Leadership Team provides oversight to ensure that Axcelis' environmental objectives, targets and goals, and Axcelis' Environmental Management System minimizes the environmental impacts of our activities, products and services. The Environmental Policy is communicated to all personnel working at Axcelis' manufacturing facilities and is available to the public.
Our Health and Safety policy states:
Axcelis Technologies, Inc. understands that the success of the company depends, ultimately, on the performance of its employees. The company realizes that sustained high performance is dependent, among other factors, on the maintenance of a high level of employee health and safety. In support of this principle, Axcelis Technologies is committed to the following:
- Preventing occupational injuries and illnesses to our employees, visitors and contractors
- Compliance with all occupational health and safety regulations, legislation, and other requirements applicable to our business and its OH&S hazards
- Continual improvement our OH&S management and performance
- Setting appropriate, achievable objectives and targets for the prevention occupational injuries and illnesses
- Periodically reviewing our OH&S objectives and targets
- Maintaining records regarding OH&S policies, procedures, and performance.
The Axcelis Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Leadership Team (AELT) is responsible for setting and reviewing OH&S objectives, targets, and goals. EHS staff will assist the AELT in ensuring that Axcelis’ OH&S objectives, targets and goals, and Axcelis’ OH&S Management System appropriately control the OH&S risks associated with our activities.
The Chief Executive Officer is Top Management’s OH&S Management Representative on the AELT.
The Axcelis OH&S Policy is communicated to all personnel working at Axcelis facilities and is available to visitors and the public. All Axcelis employees and contractors are responsible for understanding the Axcelis health and safety policy and for complying with it
2012 Environmental Health and Safety Performance Results
– Total Electricity Used at our Beverly, MA headquarters and manufacturing facility reduced by 11.5%
– Total Direct Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions at our Beverly facility reduced by approximately 61% to less than 4,600 Tons of CO2 equivalents
- Chemical GHG Emissions reduced approximately 73%
- Fuel Burning GHG Emissions reduced approximately 15%
– Total Indirect GHG Emissions reduced by ~18% to approximately 12,300 Tons
- Includes GHG produced by Electricity Purchased, Air Miles Flown, and Commuter Miles Driven
- Hazardous Waste Generator Status reduced to Small Quantity Generator. Hazardous waste generated for the entire year was approximately 8000 pounds
– Volatile Organic Carbon (VOC) Emissions reduced ~56%
- Includes better tracking of disposal material – not emitted to air
– Worldwide OSHA Recordable Equivalent Accident Rate (OSHA Rate) reduced to our lowest level ever, completing 5 straight years with an OSHA Rate <1.0.
2013 Environmental Health and Safety Goals and Objectives
– Improve our Health and Safety Management System
- Per OHSAS 18001 standard (similar to ISO 14001)
– Further Reduce Electricity Use in Beverly by at least 5%
– Further Reduce GHG Emissions
- Reduce direct Chemical Emissions to < 1500 Tons CO2e
– Document New Product Energy Savings
– Continue Supplier Sustainability and Materials Management Programs
- Conflict Minerals, REACH and RoHS